Wednesday, June 08, 2005

 

Dave’s Way: A New Approach to Old-Fashioned Success

Dave’s Way: A New Approach to Old-Fashioned Success
© 1992 by R. David Thomas

In 1940 at the age of eight I dreamed that one day I would own the best restaurant in the world. All the customers would love my food and all of my employees would do everything they were supposed to do, but most important everyone would think I was a good boss and everyday when I walked into the restaurant people would be glad to see me. Today people seem glad to see me in about 4,000 Wendy’s Restaurants. I never expected it to turn out that way.
When Wendy’s began in 1969, I saw the chance to have perhaps three or four restaurants in the Columbus, Ohio area. Mini was a motivator if you did the right thing she could make you feel 10 ft. tall and very very special. In my view all this were special guests to women in their late 40s and 50s. Many of these women have helped their husbands raise families and put off their own desires. Now they are ready to get go and to do something for themselves. Look for people who care about you and learn from them. Dream early and build your goals on your dreams. Learn to rely on yourself early. If there are things you don’t like in the world you grow up and make your own life different. Take a step everyday. Be yourself.

The number one thing they taught me was motivation. Everyday either Jean or one of the Rega’s brothers would pat me on the back and tell me I was doing a good job. When I made a mistake they would first swing out something good that I had done and then they would explain what I had done wrong and show me how to correct my mistake. They never criticized me or made me feel small in front of anyone. Everyone makes mistakes David did say.
Set top standards, build your people’s confidence, reward motivation and determination. She thought it was surprising for a 10th greater test such a clear idea of what he wanted to do. No good business will go anywhere without high standards. Cleanliness is the single most important ingredient on a restaurant’s menu. Positive thinking and a burning desire were the most important things I had going for me.
Once we have the focus on chicken we promoted that focus even more. The sixth thing we did was to identify ourselves in the way that the customer wouldn’t forget. Oh! Rotate, he said relieved that he had finally got my meaning, you want the bucket to revolve. I see it took him about two weeks to come up with my illuminated revolving bucket and he did a fantastic job. That’s how the bucket sign cast started and the Colonel began using my wobbling bucket in all of his stores.
John Brown and Jack Mathew offered Col. Sanders $2,000,000.00 with $500,000.00 down on notes over the rest. He would receive the salary of $40,000.00 a year for as long he lived and would receive residuals for TV commercials but he got no stock. Matthew took business public. I have always been lucky when I come to timing because right before they went public I borrowed the money to buy $10,000.00 worth of KFC stock, later it was worth money. Col. never could live with the selling of KFC as long as I knew him he cursed himself for what he called the biggest mistake of his life. Five years later Brown and Mathew turned around and sold KFC for $130,000,000.00. Here I was at age 35 with the net worth of $1,000,000.00. I see there were six simple steps.
Get rid of the dead wood management, paint the place, get on top of the basic numbers, promote, figure off the business and focus it, identify yourself so the customer won’t forget you. In June of 1972, we opened our first Wendy south side of Ohio. We did it to establish ourselves in interstate trade and commerce that led us to protect our trademarks and copyrights.
Don’t cut corners or you will lose quality, let each day teach you something. Problems become solutions when people look at them with a positive attitude. Here are 10 questions:

1. After I achieve something would I like to go ahead and do something new?
2. Am I willing to commit all my time and energy to an idea?
3. Do I have self-confidence?
4. Do I like to work with people?
5. Am I willing to slice the pie?
6. Do I want to be an innovator or a creator?
7. Even when things are going good am I always trying to fix problem?
8. Am I always trying to learn from others?
9 Do I think there is a solution to every problem?
10. Can I rely on my business?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0425135012
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?